Frequently Asked Car Accident Questions

Insight from a Seasoned Montana Car Accident Attorney

Car Accident

What should I do if I have been involved in a car accident?
When you are involved in a car accident, first see if anyone sustained serious injury and call for an ambulance, if needed. It is strongly advisable to retain as much information surrounding the accident as possible because it could be helpful when seeking compensation.

What information should I record?
Exchange information with other drivers involved, recording their name, insurance, and contact information. It is also recommended to obtain contact information from any witnesses who can offer an outside perspective of the accident. Also, record the location of the accident as well as the time and date. Take photos of the car accident and other vehicles involved.

Should I contact the police?
Yes. It is strongly recommended to contact the police immediately after a car accident has occurred, even if the damages seem minor. By contacting the police, a police report will be filed and on record. If your injuries and damages worsen overtime, having a record on file can help you when your pursue compensation at a later time.

What is driver negligence?
Some examples of driver negligence include the following:

  • Texting or talking on the phone
  • Lack of maintenance to vehicle
  • Speeding
  • Grooming
  • Failing to signal
  • Failing to yield
  • Tailgating
  • Drunk driving

What compensation am I entitled to?
If you sustained damages or injury due a third party member’s negligence, you could be entitled to compensation to cover medical bills, rehabilitation, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, as well as pain and suffering.

Should I hire a car accident attorney?
It is highly recommended to obtain a seasoned Montana car accident attorney immediately following an accident. A legal advocate can get started on your case, gathering fresh information of the accident, and help point you in the right direction to ensure you recover maximum compensation.

If you have been involved in a car accident, do not hesitate to contact Odegaard Braukmann Law, PLLC for sound legal counsel right away.